I absolutely love Blackened Fish or Chicken in Cajun or Creole dishes and find myself with a craving pretty frequently. The use of herbs, spices, and butter creates a perfectly spicy flavor. Combined with the crispy texture from frying in a cast iron skillet, that takes the meat to a whole new level. Most would never believe how something so flavorful could be prepared so quickly and easily.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
If you have found that many store-bought Blackened Seasonings are too salty, too spicy, or not spicy enough, then this recipe is for you! It's very easy to adjust the blackened seasoning recipe for your spice level and it's not salty at all.
For this blackened seasoning recipe, you'll need kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, and onion powder.
The seasoning can be used on anything like chicken, fish, alligator, or even veggies. In this post I used fresh caught Bass from the lake in our area.
See the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Place the protein of your choice in a large bowl.
Pour Melted Butter over the protein in the bowl. I have made this a few times since I took these photos. As you can see the Blackened Seasoning is not in the bowl yet. I do recommend mixing the seasoning into the butter before pouring over the meat.
Stir the meat and Blackened/Butter mixture to evenly cover.
After the grill and cast iron come up to temperature at 400° F, place your meat and butter mixture in the heated skillet.
Depending on the protein you choose, allow the meat to cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side or until you've reached the desired texture, color, and required internal temperature.
Plate your Blackened Meat with your favorite sides and SERVE!
More Recipes You'll Love
If you made this Blackened Fish or Chicken recipe or any other of my recipes, please leave a Star Rating and let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
- 2 tablespoon Paprika
- 2 ½ tablespoon Cayenne
- 4 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 4 tablespoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 2 tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 2 tablespoon Dried Oregano
For the Meat
- 2 lb Fish or Chicken (Breasts/Tenderloins)
- ⅛ cup Blackened Seasoning.
- ¼ cup Butter Melted
- Remove your protein from the fridge and place in a large bowl.
- Heat Charcoal Grill to 400° F.
- Place a well-seasoned Cast Iron Skillet on the grill to preheat.
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Add Blackened Seasoning to Butter and stir to combine.
- Pour Blackened/Butter Mixture over meat and stir to cover.
- Place the meat in the cast iron skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until you have reached 135° F for fish or 165° F for Chicken.
- Remove the meat from the skillet, let rest for about 5 minutes, and serve.