Summer is ALMOST here!
It's hard to believe that we are almost half way through the year already, but it's true. Which means that summer is almost here. That's exactly why after taking some time away from my blog, I'm coming back with this beautiful summery dish! This one pan jerk chicken with red beans and coconut rice is sure to spice up any dinner! Serve it at a dinner party or just the fam! Either way, no one will be calling you a Jerk! HA! See what I did there?
One Pan, Huh?
Yes, this entire recipe is made in one 12" cast Iron skillet. Which is exactly why I have named it 'One Pan Jerk Chicken with Red Beans and Coconut Rice'. I have a deep relationship with all of my cast iron and it's recipes like this that have formed those bonds. I would however, feel bad if I didn't mention that its cooked on the grill, stovetop, and in the oven. Don't let that intimidate you though. It's a very easy recipe and if you don't have a charcoal grill, no problem! Simply follow those steps on your stove top.
Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk
I'm including a very brief review on the Jerk seasoning I use here. Mainly because I've used it for years and find that a lot of people don't even know it exists. I use the Walkerswood Traditional Jerk Seasoning for this recipe. It is full of unique flavors due to its use of the Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Nutmeg and Thyme. I started using Walkerswood about 6 years ago and was simply marinating chicken legs and grilling them to serve at parties. I love spicy food, but those things were HOT!! Im talking like 4 tablespoons of this for a pound of chicken legs and your lips are on fire, HOT! Now I know how to use it properly and control the heat, I plan on using it for even more recipes coming up. So, needless to say, I won't recommend anything but Walkerswood for this dish.
LETS GET IT STARTED
Gather all of the ingredients. Chicken thighs, Jerk Seasoning, Coconut milk, Kidney Beans, Chicken broth, Vinegar, Rice, Salt, Pepper, Olive Oil, and not pictured...OOPS... Rosemary, Bay leaves, and Onion.
While the grill is preheating to 450° F rub chicken thighs with Walkerswood Traditional Jerk Seasoning and then lightly season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place the cast Iron skillet with olive oil on the grill to preheat as well while chicken rests for a few minutes.
Place the chicken thighs in the preheated cast iron skillet face down and cook for five and half minutes.
Flip the chicken thighs over so they are now face up and cook for another two and half minutes. Then remove the chicken and set aside moving the cast iron onto the stove top.
Preheat Oven to 350° F.
On the stove top, cook the onions in the drippings for about 5 minutes then add the garlic. Sauté until the garlic is toasty brown and aromatic.
Add the Jasmine Rice and the Dark Red Kidney beans and stir for a few minutes to slightly toast the rice as well. Do not rinse the beans but drain the can before adding.
Pour in the Coconut Milk and Chicken Broth. Stir to mix. Place the chicken thighs on top of the rice with bay leaves in the center and fresh rosemary sprigs covering it all.
Bake for 25 minutes at 350° F.
Once out of the oven, remove the chicken and plate. Add the vinegar to the rice and stir. Rice and beans are now ready to be plated with the chicken.
I also removed the Rosemary leaves from each cooked sprig and place them on top of each thigh for additional flavor and garnishment.
Plate, Serve, and ENJOY!
One Pan Jerk Chicken with Red Beans and Coconut Rice
- 2 Lbs Bone-in, Skin-on chicken thighs
- 1.5 tablespoon Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning
- Kosher Salt to Taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup uncooked Jasmine Rice
- 1 - 15oz can Dark Red Kidney Beans, Drained (not rinsed)
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 2 teaspoon Distilled White Vinegar
- Preheat Charcoal Grill to 450° F.
- Cover Chicken Thighs in Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning.
- Salt and Pepper Chicken modestly.
- Heat Cast Iron Skillet on Grill W/ Olive Oil.
- Place Chicken thighs in Skillet and cook for 5 and half minutes.
- Flip and Cook for another 2 and half minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Move skillet to stove top over Medium Heat.
- Preheat Oven to 350° F.
- Cook onions in the drippings for about 5 minutes or until they become translucent.
- Add Garlic and cook until toasty brown and aromatic.
- Pour in Rice and stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add Beans and stir for 1 minute to combine.
- Pour in Coconut Milk and Chicken broth, stir to mix.
- Place Chicken Thighs on top of rice with Bay Leaves and Fresh Rosemary Sprigs.
- Bake at 350° F for 25 minutes.
- Remove Chicken and Plate.
- Pour Vinegar into rice and stir to mix completely.
- Plate Rice with chicken and ENJOY!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this recipe.
Let me know by commenting below if you made it and if there are any adjustments you made!
Fashion Beauty says
Howdy are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I do use wordpress and there is no coding experience really necessary when first starting out. I recommend a qucik google search and you will find everything you need.