Coleslaw was fire back in the day! At least it was for me growing up in the 80s, which were the golden era of Kentucky Fried Chicken and Long John Silvers. They both had amazing coleslaw that paired perfectly with their extra crunchy deep-fried buckets and platters of gold. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, they strayed a little bit. As did a lot of the greats! But luckily for you, me, and the rest of the internet-using home cookin' fools out there, we don't need em! Because we have RECIPES!
KFC Coleslaw Recipe with a Twang!
This recipe for coleslaw is really the best one I've had. Think Old School KFC Coleslaw with a Southern twang! It's perfect for every potluck, bbq, and cookout you'll ever attend. Even those who don't like coleslaw will typically tell you that it's because they've never had it like yours...with this recipe!
- You won't need many ingredients, most of which you already have!
- Two bags of veggies will do it for a medium-sized crowd.
- This Old School KFC Style coleslaw can be whipped up in just a couple of minutes.
- This is perfect for summer get-togethers as a make-ahead side dish!
Vegetables: I like to use bagged angel hair cabbage coleslaw and bagged sliced carrots. This makes the preparation so much easier and has the perfect texture!
Coleslaw Dressing: The dressing is everything in a great coleslaw especially if you're looking for own that brings you back to the good ole days!
How to Prepare Unforgettable Coleslaw
This Coleslaw recipe can be made in literally minutes and turns out perfectly every time!
- Coleslaw Veggies: Add the cabbage and the carrots into a bowl with a lid and shake it to fully combine.
- Coleslaw Dressing: Whisk together all the ingredients listed below, and boom...you're done!
- Mix & Rest: Combine the veggie mixture with the dressing, place the lid on the bowl, shake it up again and stick it in the fridge. You can even do this the night before. I would recommend at least a 2 hour rest time before serving. That will allow the flavors to meld.
How to Make the Best Coleslaw Dressing
In just a few minutes, you can have homemade coleslaw dressing that will impress the best of 'em!
This coleslaw recipe uses mayonnaise and milk base for a slightly thinner coleslaw. The mayonnaise mixed with whole milk, and buttermilk, create a perfect light yet creamy texture that you would've found in the old-school Kentucky Fried Chicken days.
Making coleslaw dressing is as simple as putting all the ingredients together and whisking them up.
Other Sides I think you'll Love!
Look no further if you're looking for a KFC Coleslaw copycat that resembles the original old-school slaw we remember. This recipe is it! Sure, it's got that Texas Twang, but who doesn't love that!?
Tell me in the comments what you thought of this Coleslaw Recipe and if you made any changes that took it over the top! I love hearing about your cooking adventures!
And speaking of Kentucky...Check out this recipe for the Hot Brown Sandwich! It's phenomenal and has a very rich history!
I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe as much as we do and as usual...
KFC Coleslaw Recipe
- 10 Oz Angel Hair Coleslaw Cabbage - bagged
- 5 Oz Shredded Carrots - about half a bag
- 2 Tbsp. Dried Minced Onion
- ⅓ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Buttermilk
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk
- Juice of one Lemon
- 1 ½ Tbsp. White Vinegar
- ½ tsp. Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp. White Pepper
- Add the Cabbage and the Carrots to a mixing bowl with an air-tight lid. Shake the veggies to combine.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate mixing bowl, and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Pour the Coleslaw Dressing over the cabbage and carrot mixture, replace the lid, and shake it all up.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply